Archive for the ‘Apple’ tag
If Apple brings out a tablet, that seems something I may be interested in. Here’s why:
1. I like Apple stuff and based on my history with them, I’ll have a look.
2. I tried showing my Grandma my photography on my laptop on Xmas day. Too hard. I just ended up giving her my iPhone and she swiped away with joy. Interacting with media in that way is something that is interesting to me.
3. I do a lot of photography and photoshopping on a Wacom tablet. If I can do that live on top of the photo I’m working on, that is interesting to me.
4. I have a large music collection, the only issue is at parties either the laptop has to be connected to my stereo or I have to surrender my iPhone with Apple’s Remote app. If I can hang a large iPod on the wall, or better yet hand that around, that is something that is interesting to me.
5. I don’t have a TV in my room and I don’t like having a laptop in bed. If I could hang a tablet on the wall, or even mount it near my bed, that is interesting to me.
6. Microsoft Surface. If Apple can build Surfacey-like features into this tablet, like music and photo sharing, that is interesting to me.
7. My 3 year old daughter uses our iPhones like it’s second nature. Unlocking, loading apps, playing games and drawing. Giving her a rich platform and a head start in the game is something that is interesting to me.
8. Cause it’s Apple and they make cool stuff. Being a fat bearded man in Australia, looking cool is something that is interesting to me.
Will I get one? Maybe yes. Price is an issue but it always is.
Will I get one on the day it comes out? Likely no… But then again, how many iPods did Apple sell year 1 verse year 6, 7, 8 or 9?
Regardless, I already have a piggy bank set up…
Sorry… it just doesn’t…
You can tell me all about open source and closed systems and every other idea you want to throw at me… but it just plain don’t matter. You bought an Apple product.
And to the vast majority of iPhone consumers who don’t even know what Google Voice is… it don’t mean shit either. They have the cool gadget. THEY DON’T CARE… and as much as we love to yell at ourselves inside this tech bubble, no amount of yelling will make them care. The only time it will is if something like a Perez Hilton, TMZ or Dancing With The Stars app gets bumped.
The people who actually want to do this type of stuff with their iPhone are probably no more than 0.1% of the total number of iPhone users. People are really expecting Apple to allow a competitors software on their device because 0.1% of the population jump up and down? Good luck with that…
I have an iPhone and I love it. It does everything I want it to. There are some features I would like extra but when it comes down to crunch time, the pros outweigh the cons so much it isn’t even a contest anymore.
Basically, if you write an app that even sniffs in the general direction of the core features of the iPhone, you do so at your own peril. To do so then scream bloody murder when you get rejected is naïve at best.
You can start telling me about no clear guidelines and this and that but in the end, you chose to play on the pool table so you have to play by the house rules, no matter how sketchy they are.
Is it right? Probably not, but that’s how Apple rolls.
So, when it comes down to it:
You’re playing with Apple. They make great products, but they are closed by nature. They own the bar, they have the cues and until they feel like changing, they have the (well, your) balls as well. Lobby them to change but do so from a position of strength. Show them what they are missing out on. There are only so many times one can bang their head on a brick wall before they start loosing blood.
If you bought an Apple product and now expect it to be free and open… um, HELLO, IT’S FREAKING APPLE… the company known for being tighter than a bug’s asshole over the entire history of the company. You bought the hype, sorry.
If you bought one cause it was cool and hip but didn’t think it through so now you resort to using your ‘name’ for grandiose statements and protest gestures… sorry hipster, your ass got bit…